Wednesday, August 17, 2011

the processs

Introducing.....the honeybee gals.
Meet Hive West and Hive East. As you can see Hive East has excelled in productivity and created quite a high rise for living accommodations.
As one might guess, all of my extracted honey has been taken from the East Hive, where there appears to be a surplus of honey. Because I'm working solo I have no photos of the actual removal. It involves,smoke-lots of smoke, heavy lifting(who knew honey could weigh so much),
mucho praying, hoping 98% of the little darlings stay at their home, and rushing the capped comb into the house without getting the entire 60,000 family members buzzin' m-a-d! I was fortunate to only bring 4 bees into the house, but for every bee came 10 flies. So is life on the farm:) I DID not get stung on extraction day, but did find my arms sticky to the elbows along with a smudge of honey through my right eyebrow...good bye salon eyebrow waxing;)

The capped honeycomb.

Honey beeing extracted.

The finished product.
6 frames=17 small bottles & 8 medium bottles
18 frames to go......Would you like honey for your biscuits friends?

1 comment:

Lori said...

Looks excellent Jess!!! I think you have done a wonderful job and holey moley you could have a lot of honey! 18 frames to go????