Tuesday, October 6, 2009

humbled

While away from home this past weekend, at yet another of Dan's rodeo finals, Dawson confirmed to us on Friday night that he had been passed a dose of sick germs.
BUMMER!
Sooooo, Saturday morning we stuffed 4 garbage sacs full of soiled laundry, hit Walmart for our laundering necessities, and asked a nice lady where the nearest laundry mat was located?
My thinking....
laundry mats are like pay phones...nearly obsolete...Wrong!
We spent 2 hours of our Saturday morning in 1 of the towns 3 laundry mats. Something I was dreading.
You know,
I walked in with a heavy foot thinking ugh! Sick kids in a camper, 4 hours from home, who's next?
Our things occupied 4 washing machines & 3 dryers. We washed all of our bedding, rolled around those portable laundry baskets, challenged our eyes with word searches while waiting, & watched the regulars.
It was a humbling experience I was glad to share with my boys.
It's amazing what GOD can teach us through our life experiences.
I left the laundry mat with a spring in my step, a smile on my face, fresh clean bedding and THANKFUL for having to spend a couple hours on a Saturday morning amongst strangers.
Who I'm sure will return this Saturday morning.....
One family specifically stood out. A mother and father with 3 daughters doing a weeks washing, I'm sure. The older girls, probably 8 and 11 years of age were responsible for all of the sorting and folding. The 3rd daughter was a young toddler running around in a soiled diaper, crying, whiny and wanting to go home. The mothers facial expression & body language spoke volumes to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great family. Sometimes GOD works in mysterious ways. How did Dan do in the rodeo? -- did not seem to be your most important "news". You do a wonderful job with your family. Thanks for sharing. Sue U.