Friday, February 20, 2009

Who knew???

On Monday(NO SCHOOL!) we took the boys to the Iowa Science Center. I'm not sure who got more out of it..the kids or Dan & I? In one area they had a quiz set up on Iowa history via the computer. Jaxson and I hopped on testing our Iowa knowledge. Although we were able to answer a majority of the questions right-we had a few questions/answers that really surprised us....

Who knew.....Iowa has an island city? Sabula, over on the Mississppi created because of the lock and dam system.

Who knew.....Iowa was the first state to offer a point-of-sale "shazam" system. Yep, in 1985 used at Hy-Vee or some grocery store.

Who knew.....Iowa is the 26th largest state! I just think of us as little ole' Iowa...the heartland. We're bigger than NY, IN, LA NC....really!

Who knew....Iowa holds the "world" record for growing the largest strawberry? Yep, in Strawberry Point.( I think I knew that...Jaxson loved that fact!)

Who knows...Iowa's motto? "Our liberties we prize & our rights we will maintain." I'm sure I've heard that before but as an adult the words mean so much more. I like it!

This is just a glimpse to what our day was like at the ISC. We also participated in Zapp2; an interactive show on electricity, created our own paper airplanes to launch through the air with an air shooter thing, attempted to make gigantic bubbles, played meterologist Ed Wilson on WHO-TV 13(note picture) & the boys conducted energy with water & stones by designing a water fall with maximum water force.

It was a fabulous, fun day thanks to Grandpa & Grandma Mart & their Christmas gift of a years membership....we look forward to many more visits!

No comments: